You don’t have to have a master’s in marketing to understand that there are some fundamentals in marketing that are often overlooked. As we turn the corner on a new year here are some basics that can bring focus to you in your business.
- Make the most of every lead – A prospect is someone that knows who you and qualifies as someone who needs your products or services either now or in the foreseeable future. Put a system in place that puts an iron gate around that prospect until they become a customer. Track the leads, define a process for staying in touch, know where your prospects are in your sales pipeline.
- Maximize every transaction – If there are less customers buying from you less often, then you need make the most of every one that is ready to do business with you. Are your customers aware of every product that you sell? Has a client ever said, “I didn’t know you did that?” Do you have a plan to make sure that your customer is educated about everything that they need to complement their purchase? In most cases, a basic checklist can do the trick.
- Put an iron gate around your customer – It is your job to make sure that your customers remember you! It is your job to stay top of mind! Stay in touch with email, newsletters, reward them for loyalty, have customer appreciation events, give them magic moments, let them know that you miss them and send them offers that give them a reason to be in touch.
- Protect Your Margins – When times are good, unnecessary expenses creep in. Review your expenses for this year in contrast to last year and make sure that you are not experiencing additional expenses unnecessarily.
- Go back to school – Growing a business has changed in the last few years. What got you to where you are isn’t likely to carry you to where you want to go. Some of the best strategies to generate leads 5 years ago are no longer effective. Some mediums that didn’t exist 5 years ago are today’s best strategies. To succeed in ‘today’s world’ you need to invest in your education and yourself.
YOUR CHALLENGE: Push yourself to get back on track and focus on the fundamentals of marketing in your business.